Thursday, June 5, 2008

Going Green with Frustration...

Coincidently, my company's Environmental Day coincides with the day where the Government decides to make us all go bonkers via the RM0.78 petrol hike!! Since it was announced yesterday all we can hear are frustrations and worries, and the government's pleas and assurance that the hike won't have much impact

*hell yeah right....even a primary school children can do the math, and almost 40% increase will definitely have an impact okeh...tak tau la menteri mana yang came up with this stupid line*

I am frustrated too. I know I don't drive that much these days, and have been saving petrol ever since my firm shifted to OU but then the price increase will definitely have a chain effect over the price of other consumables....

*even though the Minister of Trade & Consumer affairs beg to differ....I don't believe that the savings in subsidy will be efficiently allocated in other development plans...and in the long run, even with additional subsidy given to transporters...there will be an urge to hike transportation prices to accomodate higher standard of living that arises from increase in food consumption price, hike in utility tariff (yeah, they raise the electricity rates too, on the same day) and increase in price of commodities and consumables (as the sellers shifts the burden of transportation cost to the consumers)*

I want to curse...but I'm drained of energy dy to do so in disbelief.....


So now what's done is done....maybe we should all think about cutting cost now and going green...

Among the suggestions that I have heard is.....


1. Recycle - well, its nothing new. But at least these days there are incentives to recycle. Maybe that incentives can be channelled to our newly founded "funds to travel and cover the increase in cost of fuel".
2. Car pool - its time to be chummy with neighbours, collegues and friends so that we can all share the cost to travel. The inconvenience of having to wait on others is minimal I suppose, as we all now have no other choice. If you don't want to carpool, another inexpensive way to travel is to bike it....you save and you exercise - 2 in 1!
3. Do not shop for a year! I heard in the US there is a group who is actually dedicated to this and apparently it works!!!
In theory its sounds rational. Just buy what you need. Then you don't waste pennies over things that are pointless in the first place.
*shopaholics like me will then have to spend more on therapy to curb our shopping habits and address depression issues...sigh!!!!*
4. Bring your own food to work! Like me!!!heheheheh!!!walaupun ada orang panggil cheapskate, in a way its a way to save!
Those are among the suggestions I have. I suppose now I would constantly think twice before spending a dime.
*there goes all the bags, shoes, nail polish, spa treatments etc etc etc*

2 comments:

mylife said...

babe, post lah you punye "go green" today... hiks...

Zuraida said...

i tak pakai anything green la...heheheh

green is soooo not my color!