Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Fault in My Stars

Have you seen The Fault in Our Stars?

Everyone says its super awesome but frankly speaking, despite the incredible script, I think I'd go with Perks Of Being A Wallflower instead. But then, the love story might not really be that epic but it does raise a number of interesting point about living and love after life. If you are up for heavy drama then you should have a go at it, you might even like it.

But of course if you wanted fun then go and watch 22 Jump Street. Channing Tatum is hot and the movie is super funny. 8 out of 10 definitely.

Back to the TFIOS, my take from the movie is simply that despite all odds, everyone is capable of love. We may lost hope that it exist, but sometimes the best comes to us when we least expect it. It could be tough and hard, it could be easy and simple. It could also be complicated. No matter, it will come in due time.

I love the idea of loving without expectation. The one where you simply don't put pressure and love for what it is rather than what it could be. The thing about Hazel and Gus is that because they live by the day, they cherish what the have to the fullest, even the small bits in life - and make the best out of it. Sure they have dreams....but they are not afraid of disappointments and hold a grudge over it thus their love is expectation free.

What moved me most is Hazel's eulogy for Gus.....

"I can't talk about our love story, so I will talk about math. I am not a mathematician, but I know this. There is an infinite between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many days of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and for that, I'm eternally grateful."- Hazel's Eulogy For Gus, The Fault in Our Stars (2014)

Ain't that sweet?

*winks*

On the side to my dear chatterbox, in case you are reading this (in which case I don't think you do), I thank you for our little infinity. It does feel like forever, even when we merely have minutes.

Literary speaking.

And for that, I am (okay for now, perhaps eternally is too big a word) grateful.

xoxo.

No comments: